Saturday, July 17, 2004

By the ways - left, right and centre
 
BTW 1 For the most observant of the sec 3 or 4 girls who see me lunging a laptop with cables and accessories to class everyday with fail, that was a laptop I bought with my first bonus in teaching four years ago.  How time flies!  As an old lady faced with the taunts and tortures of age, she was no longer as responsive as before, and most important it constant need a life support ( ie power supply) as the body lack the energy (battery supply)  Rushed down after the Track and Field Competition to the Acer Service Centre and Jurong East.  The serviceman recommended that it would be good to let it go peacefully when time come, no plastic surgery, artificial parts/ upgrade needed.  Felt so helpless when I can't do anything to help her.  Well might as well, start looking for a new laptop.  New things for old.  Luckily i am not so mercenary when I come to real people.
 
BTW 2 On my way back, I took the bus back.  It was those with the advanced features such as TV mobile.  I know some of you will really cringed when talking about that irritating box which really spoilt the tranquility of the bus ride, wehn we can watch the world fly past and smell the flowers.... :P It was like the most irritating until the SMRT upped it with that increasing annoying MRt screen which while showing the arrival time of the train, decideed to show some movie trailers.  Well Won Bin and Baey Yon Ju were ok, the irritating factor was really great when they show that wannabe movie "The Best Bet" when that horrible techno jingle keep playing after an interval of 30 secs. ( and you thought that Eminem "Without Me" that I have chosen was irritating...)  As I was sitting right at the back and  couldn't see the screen very clearly.  I could hear some of the soundtrack and so I decided to watch the people instead.  It was also interesting to watch passengers watching TV.   It sounded like a surgical procedure was taking place on screen. It was amusing to see the open mouths and then the grimaces of passengers. Then I wondered who decided what goes on the bus boob tubes. Would they ever consider showing "Speed"? How about an "informercial" on how to report errant bus drivers by calling 1-800-X-DRIVER? Why doesn't the Speak Good English Movement (SGEM) show examples of good spoken English  since people watch them are usually those who can afford to spend a couple minutes to learn a few new phrases and terms?
 
I bring up the last point as I was appalled by the descriptions of those friends of mine who commented on the way the flight stewardesses speak. That SGEM ad could feature two scenes...

Scene 1
A stewardess asks a male passenger "Can I helpchu?". A cabin door suddenly bursts open and she gets sucked out of the plane. As she exits, the stewardess curses in Hokkien but it trails off quickly. Punchline: Bad English Sucks Big Time.
 
Scene 2
The clone of that stewardess asks the same passenger "How may I help you?". This time the passenger morphs into Prince Charming and they mount Pegasus and ride/fly off into the sunset. Punchline: Good English Isn't Just For Fairy Tales.

Yeah, I know it's only a fantasy, but that's television... even if it is onboard a bus driven by someone having an epileptic fit induced by the lack of durians. 

BTW 3 Speaking of TV and durians, have you watched the latest comedy on local TV? It's called "Durian King"  It was one of those comedies that make me really sit up and watch.  Even the theme song was damn catchy something like 'durians durians... '.  It starred Adrian Pang who was a lawyer bankrupt by his bad investments.  Talk about "suay".  When was the last time you buy somethig and saw its prices came plunging down.  There was also Kym Ng who was a singer-pop star wannabe.  The ones that really got me laughing my head off was when Adrian Pang was dreaming of a "sex-capade" he had, where the girl was feeding him with whipped cream... and when he woke up he saaw something whitish on his mouth, the pigeon had decided to use his mouth as a makeshift toilet bowl!  He went looking for  water and started washing his face and mouth with a pail he saw and to his horror that was actually a pail containing Kym's undies.  The best was when Kym stared at him and said "You played with my underwear" and Adrian replied it was a mistake and he was just washing his face with it.  Talk about punchlines!!  There was also the "seow" ah beng who went around stalking Adrian Pang and said  "this is my terri tori". Damn funny...   The chemistry was great and I believe that Channel I would have found a new legion of fans waiting for the next episode.
 
BTW 4  Have you read something on the Singapore Idol?  Seems like it is fast becoming a farce.  There was a comment made by the judges that they have already an idea who is going to be the top three and that speak so damn well of our pool of talents we have.  Most of them are karaoke or bathroom singers.  There was also this speedo guy who strip to his trunks while singing.  That also prove my next point that only really stupid people would appear on television?  And when I say that, I dont' necessary mean the competitiors but sometimes the parents of the kids in the Singapore Brainest Kids (Answer: I guess that's the only way they hope to make money. The rest of us slug away in the rat race.)   There should be another rating to join the ranks of G, PG, N-16 and R(A). It is S for Stoopid, so stupid that it isn't even spelled correctly!
 
But then again, if you have anything burning to say or comment your stoopid comments are most welcome.. 

No comments: