Thursday, December 01, 2005

The one about Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (REVISED)

Just came back from the 9 plus show at Bishan and I just have to blog about the movie. I know it is stale news for some people. I really can;t find the time to really blog about about stuff. Coupled with the fact that my desktop is down and I am writing this on my extremely slow laptop which is dying on me, I got to get this really fast.

Interesting and entertaining movie if you are not a Potter fan, The book itself already provide a wonderful script for the movie, but my personal take is that it totally massacre the book. I know that some of the stuff in the book cannot be reproduced on the big screen on a shoe string budget, but isn't this the purpose of adaptations? I was hoping that the movie could reproduce the magic and followed the books faithfully like in movie 1 and 2 and all i got was a jigsaw of scenes which would make little sense for those who are watching the movie without any prior knowledge of the book itself. The emphasis was also on the Ball which was actually a useful distraction in the actual book. In the movie it was like one of the big scenes. It is really too much when they had the rock concerty thing going on. Muggle music? There was also the first 60 plus pages of the book which was abbreviated to like 2 minutes of the movie. In the end it didn't make much sense to all.

(Edited) Not to spoil the fun of those who have watched it and yet able to show my unhappiness of how the book failed to capture the essence of the story, I will try to give as much as I can the discrepancies between book and movie


1) Harry Potter got to know about the Gillyweed for his 2nd task for the Tri Wizard Tournament not from Neville Longbotttom as mentioned in the movie but from Dobby the house elf

2) When the death mark was apparently shot in the sky, the confrontation occur when Winky, a house elf was holding Harry Potter's wand, this was not shown in the movie

3) The whole scene about Harry learning the Summons spell before the first test of the Tri wizard tournanment was not shown.

4) Malfoy was changed into a ferret much earlier in the encounter with Mad Eye Moody

5) The whole Quidditch world cup was vividly illustrated in the novel but was over in like 2 sec in the movie.

6) The opening scene of the first encounter with Voldermort , when Harry woke up, he should have been at his muggle home with his Uncle's family in Privet Drive.

There is just so much to say. I am just disgruntled after my attempt to read the book the second time ( tll about 100 plus odd pages) that it didnt have any impact to the viewing. I am glad I went into the movie hall expecting to be entertained for I certainly did. But I was horribly sad for Rowlings, as I don;t know what will happen to the next big screen adaptation, granting that the Order of the Phoenix isn't really a good script to start with.

I will be getting my comp fixed hopefully by the weekend and till then I will try to blog a little before I leave for Genting Highlands.

Anyway if you have anything about the movie, HP and the GOF that is different from what you read, please feel free to use the tagboard or even the comments page.

No comments: