Monday, July 03, 2006

The One down memory lane with Superman

So England is out of the World Cup and the bettors' favourite, Brazil was also booted out by the group of grand old fogeys. I guess many will say that these are old news, but sometimes old news is good news, especially for people like me, who literally depend on old news and history to keep my job going :P

Anyway missus and myself decided to spend the afternoon having a little quality time on our own, and what good thing to do then to indulge in our usual favourite pastime - spending the time in a dark room and in an air conditioned environment.... in a cinema hall ( what were you thinking anyway *wink wink). And what better movie to watch than of course a show that draws its inspiration during our time. And of course, if you know which movie I am talking about. Yes that is "Superman returns"!


Let me tell you, when the credits appears, and the familiar superman theme plays throgh the booming speakers, I sworn that I could feel goosebumps. It was such a familiar sight, with the costume clad hero ( with the matching or unmatching red spandex underwear) and of course his love interest Lois Lane. It was literally going down memory lane as i remember the Superman franchise with the late Christopher Reeve as the faster-than-a-speeding-bullet, building-leaping, x-rayed vision misfit hero. Seeing Superman performing all those stunts again albeit in better CGI effects made me fall in love with this hero again. Forget the crap about how those editors panned this movie, and how they mentioned that nowadays people love superheros with a flawed past, I said, give me Superman anytime, for, as I shamelessly quoted from the movie, the world need Superman :P

I realise that I am over-zealous, almost religious about this movie, but it was just something I learnt from the show. For in teachers, I feel that all of us are like Superman, ready to help everyone in need in the speed of light. One of the scene that got me into this reflective mood was when Lois Lane asked Superman why he left, Superman brought Lois Lane to the earth atmosphere and asked her did she hear anything. Lois replied "no" and Superman answered, " I hear everything, the people need me." Call him narcissistic, call him egoistic. But he was there to save the day for he believe as what his father said, all people are good in nature.

With this, I return to school tomorrow with a renewed zest. But first let me iron my superman outfit and my red spandex underwear.

1 comment:

The Ego One said...

My superhero identity must be kept a secret, for nobody will know that an overworked singaporean had the audacity to don the red underwear outside.
However I will be keeping it where it should be, inside my pants. I am sure my school will not be approving this new dress code. Ha ha!