Saturday, April 08, 2006

The One about Power Possible Corrupts

It is weird how power can actually change a person's perspective about things. For in reflecting at some of the things that was happenign, I am struck with this revelation. If this post don’t make sense to you, you are not alone. I am also not sure what I was trying to convey from this.

Before I make the decision to move away from my comfort zone to take on a new challenge, an ex-colleague gave me words of advice. She told me to always remember that “power changes people”. (Actually She mentioned that power corrupts people. But I decide to be politically correct about this) She lamented that people tends to see things in the Big picture when one is vested with power and will choose to neglect those who made up the little pieces in the jigsaw. She hope that I will remember what she said and I have to say that I had dutifully put this as my work mantra.

The role as you climb up the corporate ladder is a delicate, ball-juggling responsibility that requires altruism, sanity and most importantly responsibility. It is not easy to manage peoples’ expectations and yet at the same time trying to negotiate and find peace in the decision that one had to make, regardless of how unpopular it may be. But then again as a middle manager, that is our role, stuck in the middle, macro-managing and yet micro-organising at the same time.

At times I am worried about losing sight of what I want, with the avalanche of work and responsibility. However I relished the challenges of looking at things in a different perspective, and to use the power to realize what I can do. Ultimately we are here as teachers, for students, not just administrator for customers.

I just have to remember to constantly look for my blind spots when I turn. I just hope people will remind me when I if one day engulfed by the lust for power. :)

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

The Ego One said...

Hi Jeanie
Thanks for the advice.
It is just that a couple of incidents happened and I am just worried about my blind spots. Actually not that blind since I am aware of it.
Maybe you are right to say that I am worried over nothing. Really killing my brain cells for nothing :-)

Yvonne said...

its not power that corrupts. its the LOVE for power that does that. :)