Monday, August 30, 2004

A bittersweet taste...maybe things should not have begin this way

Celebrations, don't you just love them...every year, for a day without fail, the students put aside their horns and forks, squeeze the air out of themselves, making them white and pale and put on a little "halo" over their heads. Yes I am talking about Teachers' Day. As I look back on my past 4 years of teaching, I started to reflect on how things have changed over the years. Whitening hair well covered by the inexpensive black, brown, coppertone hair dye, receding hairline which shows wisdom of the teachers and of course the pulling hair due to sheer frustration- a sense of resignation not helped by the unappreciative nature of certain students. But then again, what's new? This is part and parcel of teaching, just like irate bosses in the corporate world, hard-to-please customers in sales, things do happen in every profession.

And how can I forgot... the presents that got the teachers all excited. Don't get us wrong, we are not really hard up for cookies, edible (read: won't create a case of LS) or inedible ( read: heavy enough to be paperweight and a potential killer litter/ discus when thrown) Well when I first joined the profession, the numbr of presents received during this day was like the contestants hearing the poll results from Gurmit in Singapore Idol. You may not sing well ( read: teach well) but if you can smile, twinkle your eyes a little, you might survive another round. But in the long run... hm... that will be really the challenge. The number of boxes of presents I have collected over the past three year read a proud "three" one for each year. I have gotten things, from chocolates, to flowers, to mini Tshirts, cologne (smell bad huh??) to total Picasso wannabe cards, Ng Eng Teng-ish sculptures ( read: colour bottles with colour water which I believe is breeding Aedes mosquitoes the very moment we read...) I have to say I really appreciate all the girls efforts. They are so forthcoming when it come to show appreciation during the once a year event. And presents, be it big or small, is always appreciated. I understand that the student contributed a part to the teacher dinner tonight and for that let me on behalf of the teachers extend a big thank you. However I personally feel that this is just an extravagant and frivolous way for the teachers to celebrate Teachers' Day. Much as we appreciate the effort done by the parents to honour us this day, I believe some of the teachers would just love to celebrate it with..... the teachers ourselves. I missed the days when the teachers celebrate this day in a small restaurant just by ourselves. With our raised status, instead it became a formal occasion for teachers to receive the accolades of the parents who had been zealous to appreciate the work of the teacher done for their daughters; this stupendous effort to make us appreciated. While a classy dinner in a classy restaurant in a classy place in Singapore may be an idea of a tribute to the teachers, I believe the teachers would not mind forsaking it for a simple dinner, not one with the frills and thrills, or worse with the Tuxs and the coiffed hair! But then again please don't treat this as being unappreciative. The dinner will be great but I just feel that the money can be of better use.

On a side issue, have you notice the stress level in the school? If it is not apparent to you, you are a) oblivious of what is going on b) pretending to be oblivious of what is going on. Things are getting stressful for the teachers, students and even the school sweepers with increasing number of trees starting to shed their leaves ( it is autumn mind you!) I have seen teachers breaking down in tears uncontrollably or even laughing hysterically or doing both at the same time. Family committment anxieties? Work related tension? Or a bad joke passing around? One thing for sure, the stress level will be leviating to greater heights in the last term. The sec 4 are in the midst of theier preliminary exams, and the Sec 1-3 will be having their end-of-year exams in approximately 3 odd weeks or so. I shuddered at the sense of urgency , most the lack of it seen in many of the classes I teach.

In fact, for the next few weeks, I shall
1) be an absolute devil, and make sure my students start studying.
2) If I turn soft at heart to excuses, I must refer to point 1)

I made my form class do something to find their innate desires to study and to do well in the examinations. With their so many out of school curriculum activities and after school school related activities such as the stupid IPW and the mind-boggling crazy commitments, it is hard for them to find a period of time for them to start study for an extended period of time. But I guess this is the poor life of the students.


(For Teachers' Day, Mr Ng wished all his students would channel their enthusiasm from showing appreciation to him to their work so that they will do well in the Sec 3 exams. No matter how he hate it, he would hope to see the entire classes he taught to Sec 4 next year and prepare them for the O level. He, however, would not mind cookies which can double as coasters or flying targets for the errant students who love to put their heads on the tables during SS or History lessons)

No comments: