Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Old Men and Old Boys

Caustic comments don't just disappear.. they mellowed and turn acidic with age.

I am sensitive to the word "age" or anything that sound remotely similar about age (Ever wonder why words that sound similar are called homonyms and people who sound each other out are called homos ;P) I am not a stick in the mud when it come to exercising sensitivities to the concept of ageism but I truly believe that the elders need respect, balding or not. And again just to get the record straight I am not balding. I just happened to have a higher and wider than normal forehead. And for your information again, that is not abnormal. If you are into geomancy, palmistry, chemistry and geometry, you would understand it is blessed to have a wide forehead as it meant good fortune and prosperity. Trust me I said so. The least you would want is a blue black eye for the national day holidays. Blue and black aren't really patroitic colours...

I can fully understand the girls disdain when they heard me singing praises about my school Victoria. As an old boy of the school. I have deep affection and high regards for the end products churned ( me not withstanding) I guessed sometimes my fervour can be overzealous and suspiciously xenophobic when it come to other second rated boy schools. Just like all IJ girls would see their tradition and their schools as the best. I also commented that about Victoria School's motto (notice that we are sensitive to the word Victoria Secondary, as it put us in the same brackets as the rest of the other neighbourhood schools, Damn we would called ourselves Victoria Institution, modelled behind some wannabe nerdy boy school if the acronym of Victoira Institution did not sound that demeaning to an elite boy school.) Victoria School " Nil Sine Labore" or "nothing without labour" in English exemplified the qualities one need to survive and get the necessary advancement without society. Then again everything in life must come with a bit of labour and with this come the philosophy of how did you end up in this world in the first place, ( of course after a night of labour :P) But I digress, VS's motto is a simple and yet profound mantra that we should keep as the guiding principle of our life. Nothing come for free you see.

I can already envisage angry people with the compulsion to type angry replies to what I have said. Make yourself heard and remember "nothing will come without labour" :P


No comments: