Friday, January 27, 2006

The One with the Fighting and Caning

Reality strike early, week 4 of the school. I got a rude shock when I found myself caught in the middle of a fist fight between a couple of my upper sec students. Shocking? well... maybe, all this while, I have been teaching girls and the most extreme I had seen is catfights... actually bitching was the most I have seen and heard. Thus it came to me as a shock that they were actually doing the “Rocky” tango right before my very eyes.

Surprisingly, I have to be really macho about it and literally stand in the line of the fistfight. Like a traffic policeman stopping the whole proceedings, I risked getting my face smashed up in the middle. It was to my relief that the boys stopped or I will literally be manhandled....

I have to say, being totally "virginal" about this, that I was a bit unsettled by the incident and it was difficult to continue with the lesson with the rest fo the class. I guess there will be more of this little experiences now and then.

On a side note, as I was walking back to the staffroom, I witnessed the caning of the student in front of the class by the Principal. It is unsettling, it is sad. I have this awkward feeling and something stuck in my throat. I am glad that the long hols are coming....

No comments: