Friday, January 26, 2007

The one about the end of a relationship



I have this weird sense of separation depression. but then again who doesn't ? you know when you feel unrationally upset when you are throwing away the stack of history notes from university, or when you have to discard the old t-shirt which you had worn or the old swatch watch which can no longer tell greenwich time. i guess i am what people call as the old school romantic, those who just have the needy sense of trying to hold on to the past so as to make sense in the future. As I said it was plainfully obvious (to others) that my feel is not going to be reciprocated.



As a loyal M1 customer, I had always stuck by them since they started business in singapore. Being one of the first few to hop onto the already defunct CDMA network and carrying the obiang sony cdma phone, I have been a loyal customer who bunked at the idea of total corporate bigots and of course a cool supporter of the "david vs the goliath" thingy.



Recently I was tempted by the new MIO plan that was offered by Singtel. After watching the news, the various advertisements on tv and papers and much intense research on the net and numerous phonecall to friends, supporters and detractors alike. I was half tempted to "jump ship" to take up a singtel line since I am already a singnet user and I do have a residental line at home. However there was this sentimental part of me to end this relationship. I was hoping to get the telco to make an attempt to at least try to keep me by enticing me with offers such as hp upgrades etc. ( it works for the credit card annual fees) Thus in a last bid to save the relationship, I gave a phone call to M1 customer service.



M1: Hi this is XXX, welcome to M1, how may i assist you?

Me: Hi, I was wondering if I were to switch to singtel what is the procedure?

( seconds of anticipation..... the desperate need to be hold back...)

M1: oh it is actually quite simple sir, may i know if you have any contract left with M1?

Me: No actually, I was actually in two minds whether to continue with a new M1 contract or to move to a new service provider

M1: oh i see, to move to singtel is actually quite simple, all you have to do is to terminate the line with m1 and sign up with singtewl.

Me: But i am unwilling to give up my present number, can i keep this number?

M1: yes you can , there is this number port system which will trransfer all the call to your new number, it is quite hassle free. sir would you like me to terminate this line for you?

Me: let me think about it thanks

M1: Thanks for calling M1. Have a nice day..



I ended the phone call, "heartbroken" especially hearing those such "callous" remarks, such heartlessness. Aall my loyalty and my devotion all gone to waste. I have to say I am "hurt" by the comments, how superficial this relationship is..... especially after standing by them for the past 6 years or so...




Anyway I am now sporting a new K800i phone, you can still reach me on my M1 number, but you will receive a sms or call from me in another weird number, yah that is my new singtel line.

No comments: