Friday, May 19, 2006

The one about Failing

I have not associated myself to students failing badly in IJ and it came as a culture shock the results that I have gotten so far. Colleagues offered words of encouragement. Infact they were pretty non-chalant about it, some were looking at the analysis and said that the results were quoted unquoted “satisfactory”. Difference in results, difference in standard and so different in expectations. I was immersed in a culture where students good results were a given, and I guess it is also the type of school culture that I was in, and the calibre of my students then.

Then again, much as I would like to give them a pass grade, based on my compassion as a teacher who witnessed how hardworking and motivated they were, I am bounded by my professionalism and integrity to reflect the full nature of their results.

Faces changed when they received their examination scripts. No gleeing in joy, just blank looks or looks of disbelief. A penny for their thoughts – the worry of facing their parents with high expectations, who find their hopes dashing with every fail grade their child get.

Starkly contrasting in classes and attitude - Disappointment, anger, frustration and silence versus “bo-chup”ness( couldn’t-care-less attitude) and oblivion. Have the students got so used to the negative thoughts that failing was almost by default? No matter what they do, the elusive pass will remained ELUSIVE. In fact it was the catchphrase of the day “I failed”.

Some said Humanities is a difficult subject to comprehend, difficult subject to study and memorise, difficult to understand and most importantly difficult to score. I couldn’t agree with it less. But then again, to coneveniently chuck this as a reason would be merely looking for excuses. Guess students and teachers alike just have to overcome this setback and try again, and if failed, try again, and again and again.

There will definitely come another time, another day, where maybe the same scenario will be, but whether I would have the same thoughts is an issue that I am still grappling with…

No comments: